This article is a quick guide to 10 proven side hustles to make money in 2022. It is easy and intended especially for those who don’t have much experience in making money or just as an added income and need a few secrets on how to get started.
What is the meaning of side hustles
- With the ever-growing demand for people to find work due to the high unemployment rate from the fall out of the COVID pandemic. People need to find a way to make money to support themselves.
- With the desire to travel the globe and become a digital nomad, people need to look to side hustles to support their new lifestyle.
Now let us take a look at what a side hustle is:
- Side hustles was originally coined as a part time job but in today’s world it is more of a smaller job where you make a little money.
- Not the same as a part time job where you have a full-time job and this is in addition.
- Digital nomads look to many side hustles to build a income stream to support them full time.
So, let’s take a look at the 10 side hustles or income streams that can help you on your journey to becoming a digital nomad.
Proofreading Jobs from Home
Proofreading is something that has been around for a long time. Writer often needs a review of their work to make sure there are no grammatic errors. There are several remote proofreading jobs out there you can find that can make you a good income or just as a side hustle. You can find proofreading jobs from home no experience needed if you run them through the appropriate tools.
What qualifications do you need to be a proofreader?
To be a good proofreader you need to be thorough and pay attention to detail. After all the whole purpose is to make sure the content you are proofreading is of great quality. Don’t be afraid to make the necessary correction, you are the proofreading expert.
You should have a good knowledge of the language you are reading and excellent written communication skills.
How do I get a job proofreading?
The name you will hear quite often is Fiverr which is easy to sign up for. If you are brand new to proofreading and looking to build business, Fiverr is a great place to start as you can offer cheap Fiverr gigs and build up your experience.
Upwork another good option for beginners, they are similar to Fiverr however meant for the more experienced freelancer. Once you get experience and are confident is your proofreading ability you can start to network yourself on the Internet or social media. At this point you should be able to get more per project and make a decent side hustle.
Start A Money Making Blog
This is always a good side hustle and all you need is some money making blog topics. Starting a Blog is easy put like all side hustles you have to be devoted and prepared to put in the time.
Is it profitable to start a Blog?
Yes, blogging can definitely be profitable if you put out some good content. This is something that can eventually lead to a full-time profession. Starting a Blog is one business that does not require huge up-front capital, you can actually get started for free. There are over 500 million Blogs out there and thousand more coming online every day.
How to Start a Blog (and Make Money)
First thing you will need to do is pick your Blog’s name and niche. These should be something that you can build on and is an area that people are looking for or that answers a question. My recommendation is to do some SEO keyword research to find a suitable niche.
- Now that you have your name and niche picked out, you will need to get your Blog online so pick out your web hosting.
- Now comes the harder part, you will need to design your blog with a free WordPress theme. There are a lot of good free theme out there to get you started and you can download sample sites and all you must do is modify the content and images.
- Now you are ready to get started, you need to write your first blog post so come up with a few money-making blog ideas. When it comes to writing a blog post you will need to think more SEO than fancy writing. You want the blog posts to rank in the search engine, so SEO is key.
- Now having a great Blog and writing some awesome post does not make you money. You will need to promote your Blog and get traffic to your website.
- Now come time to monetize to make money from your Blog. You can do this in a couple of ways, affiliate products and ads like Google Adsense. Amazon Affiliate is always a good affiliate place to start.
Sell Digital Products
Digital products are basically digital assets or media files that can be sold online repeatedly. Unlike physical products, with a digital product you never have to restock your inventory. This is an easy side hustle if you find the right market, you can offer downloadable music files, a PDF tutorials or ebooks.
digital products to sell on etsy
How to sell digital products?
To get started, create, or find a great product that you can promote. The key criteria for creating digital products is to add value to your customers.
- You can use lead magnet to drive traffic to your digital offers.
- Start an affiliate program to offer your digital products.
What can I sell digital online?
Educational downloads are a great way to sell digital products through the form of courses or tutorials. They teach your audience something valuable or give them information to help them to learn something new.
You can sell digital products for example:
- Art or music
- Templates and tools
- Entertainment products
Alternatively, you can offer other digital services:
- Online services.
- Subscriptions and memberships.
Become a Freelance Writer
What is a freelance writer and how do I become a freelance writer? This is something you will need to either have experience in or learn quite a bit as you go. A freelance writer writes content for other people in the form of articles or blog posts.
How do I start as a freelance writer?
To get started as a freelance writer you need to choose a niche that you intend on writing for.
You can set up a website or blog to display your sample works and get customer to employ you. Alternatively, you can post ads on Fiverr and/or Upworks to get started.
- You will need to write great sample work in order to show off your capabilities.
- Promote yourself on places like social media.
- Check for writing job on boards and bid on the works.
- The key to showing credibility is to collect testimonials from your clients.
How do I become a freelance writer with no experience?
If you have no experience, a good way to get started is to take a freelance writing course.
- You can publish your work for free on Contently to drive attention.
- Medium is another free site to publish your work.
- Create a website specifically for writers and display your sample projects.
- Create writing samples on Google Docs.
- You can publish your work for free on Linkedin and promote yourself.
- There is also Guest Post that you can use to create backlinks to your samples.
Start an Ecommerce Store
Starting an ecommerce store is simple to do, all you need is a few products and a dream. Ecommerce store generally sell either physical assets or digital products. Starting you own ecommerce store comes with it’s own challenges as there is a lot of competition out there. My recommendation would be to deploy an ecommerce store as part of a blog this way you have a better chance of driving traffic to your shop.
what is an ecommerce store?
An ecommerce store or shop is a website where products or services are sold.
There are several different kinds of ecommerce stores:
- Drop shipping
- Selling your own products
- Affiliate products
Ecommerce website development
- Step 1: Research your niche and decide what products and services you want to sell.
- Step 2: Select your business name and get a domain name, something relatable.
- Step 3: Choose an e-commerce platform for example Woocommerce or Shopify and create your website.
- Step 4: Upload your products to your ecommerce shop and set a price.
Online Influencer YouTube or TikTok
Become an online influencer YouTube or TikTok. This is easy to get started all you need is a smart phone to create content. There are several type of content you can post as an influencer:
- Travel videos
- Product review videos
- Educational or tutorial videos
- Funny or Entertainment videos
- Just Vlogging of your life
How to make money on YouTube or TikTok?
You can make money on both YouTube and TikTok but you need to be careful of their terms and conditions.
- Affiliate products
- Google Ads – YouTube
- Links to your physical or digital products
Sell an Online Course
Online courses are a great way to make extra income or a side hustle. If you have experience you can create a video course to share with others in your market and make money, which is the object here.
How do you sell an online course?
- First thing is to choose a subject that sells, you don’t want to spend all that time and effort developing a course that no one is looking for. Create your online course that is educational or answers a question.
- Next choose where to host and sell your course. I put a list of option down below.
- This is the tricky part, decide how much you will charge keeping in mind, increase the value and you can charge more for your course.
- Launch your online course making sure that you create a good landing page that people will want to click on and describes you course.
- Now market and sell your online course, you can promote through your website/blog or social media.
Best Sites to sell Online Courses
Following are some goods sites to sell your online course. Not all are free however check which ones are best for you.
- LinkedIn Learning
- General Assembly
Sell Online Through Affiliate Marketing
This is a simple side hustle that can be lucrative. You can sell affiliate products online through a number of ways, ecommerce, landing pages, product links and etc.
I already covered a bit about affiliate products on the ecommerce store section, but you can take it to another extent. You can create a complete affiliate store with a plugin like Wzone. There is where you post Amazon or eBay products directly to WooCommerce through APIs. Makes it simple to get an ecommerce store up and running in no time.
If you want to sell affiliate products through advertising links or say Pinterest, you direct traffic to a landing page that promotes your products. This usually satisfies the T&Cs of most of the platforms out there. You can promote affiliate products from Amazon, Ebay, Clickbank, Shareasale and etc.
Affiliate products are a great way to make money because you don’t have to develop a course or product and there is no outlay of money. You just sell and collect the commission!
Become a Social Media Manager
You can become a Social Media Manager for people that just have the time to do it. A Social Media Manager manages an client’s online presence by developing a strategy, producing good content, analyzing usage data, facilitating customer service and managing projects and campaigns. As a Social media Manager you would be expected to perform actions like:
- Develop creative and engaging social media strategies
- Manage all social media channels such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Tiktok and YouTube, that adapting content to suit different channels
- Plan and deliver content across different platforms using scheduling tools to launch at the optimum time
- Create multimedia content and/or outsource to trusted partners across multiple platforms
- Develop, launch and manage new competitions and campaigns that promote your client’s brand
How to Become a Social Media Manager
If you want to become a Social Media Manager, you need to learn Social Media Marketing. A good way to prove your value is to build your Social Media presence, people expect you to have experience of your own.
You can post yourself on Fiverr or Upworks to get jobs but you need to create a great landing page and make sure it is SEO targeted. You want to show sample works and links to you experiences above so clients know you are referenceable.
You want to be sure to build your manager skills and define your services. Learn how to use Social Media Marketing Tools, there are a lot out there. Now build your client portfolio and let you reviews speak for themselves.
Sell Your Services on Fiverr or Upwork
What is the difference between Fiverr and Upwork?
Fiverr allows people to provide different services or gigs and post that to purchase. On Upwork, freelancers must bid for specific projects by sending applications and cover letters to clients when they post a job.
How do you sell on Fiverr?
You can promote yourself outside of Fiverr to drive traffic to you offers.
You want to make sure to clearly communicate what you offer so client understand what they are getting.
Fiverr also has its own search engine so make sure you don’t forget to use the right Tags.
Make sure that you place good images on your Fiverr ad so client can see you are professional. Afterall no one is going to hire you if your won work is sloppy.
One important factor is that when an order comes in you must be available to complete them in the time you set out. Keeping in mind some orders come in as a rush, great you make more money; however, you have less time to complete them. So be careful not to have too many gigs on at one time.
Some other key factors:
- Bad Reviews are not good.
- Remember you are a salesman, so be Polite.
- Always stay connected and respond quickly.
Can you sell on Upwork?
You can set up a free profile to promote your skills, experience, along with desired pay rate to clients. Then bid for specific project that align to your skill set and if successful you can fill the order. This is a opposite approach to how Fiverr does it but works well as you don’t have to fulfill orders, you can go at your own pace.
Making money through Side Hustles is easier than you think!
I have given you a few Side Hustles ideas above that can make you either extra cash or make a full-time income through these steps. For extra money you can pick out a one or two of these that interest you. If you are looking to become a digital nomad and want to go full time then you want to have at least 6 to 7 side hustle to ensure you have diverse income streams. Let’s go!